Thursday, April 1, 2010

A modest proposal

So, I am in a British lit class right now, and we just read A Modest Proposal by Swift for class. May I just say that it was gorgeous! The satire that Swift uses is fantastic. I love this piece. For those unfamiliar with the work, it is a proposed solution to feeding the poor in Ireland...... eat the babies. it is as simple as that. Swift is much more graphic and candid then me, but that is the gist of the story. The commentary in this piece is great. Let me explain. It is a commentary both to Ireland, and to England, its ruling country. To England, Swift is saying basically, hey, we might as well eat the babies because that would be better for them then having to grow up under your rule and live in this impoverished and sad state. to Ireland, Swift is saying, well, you are not doing anything about your state, so, why not eat the babies to make life a little better. The work is sick, sadistic, and hilarious in my opinion. But, maybe i just have a sick mind. Go check it out and tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment